Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rep. Greiling Retires After Long Career Focused on Education, Mental Health Reform

St. Paul, MN – Currently serving her 10th term, State Representative Mindy Greiling (DFL – Roseville) announced her retirement from the State Legislature today. Rep. Greiling will continue to serve until the end of the upcoming session. 

During her tenure, Rep. Greiling focused her legislative efforts on properly funding and reforming Minnesota’s public education system, serving as Chair of the House Education Finance Committee for four years and transitioning to DFL-Lead on the same committee in 2010. In addition to her work on education, Rep. Greiling was a strong legislative advocate for improving the way we perceive and treat mental health in Minnesota. 

“It has been my honor and privilege to serve the citizens of Senate District 54. Serving has enriched my life with a great sense of purpose for the common good. 

“I was proud to lead the legislative charge in the Minnesota House of Representatives to reform and properly fund our mental health system. We increased funding more than in any other legislative session in the history of our state. 

“However, I must honestly say, that I am leaving with a heavy heart that we now owe our public schools $3.45 billion, over $4,200 per student. I have been proud to author a sweeping education finance reform bill, developed by a broad coalition, which would properly fund schools at the state level and make the system fairer and more welcome to local innovations. I am hopeful to see enactment of this plan in the future. 

“While I announce my retirement today, I look forward to serving out the conclusion of my term. We still have much work to be done and I intend to continue fighting for the best interests of people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment