Wednesday, December 19, 2012

REP. TERRY MORROW RESIGNS TO TAKE NEW JOB



Rep. Terry Morrow of St. Peter announced on his Facebook page that he is not coming back for 2013 legislative session. He is taking new job in Chicago and he wrote an open letter on his Facebook page: 


Hello, all:

Here's the letter about today's announcement:
___

With gratitude, with anticipation, and with some sadness, I announce that I have accepted the position of legislative director of the Uniform Law Commission based in Chicago. I will not be returning to the Minnesota House of Representatives when it opens the 2013 session on January 8.

After Election Day, the Uniform Law Commission (ULC) approached me to discuss an exciting opportunity to lead its legislative efforts across the United States and to work with other countries on multinational legal issues. The ULC provides states with non-partisan, well-drafted legislation that brings clarity and stability to state statutory law. This is an exciting opportunity for me to continue contributing to the public good in a new and challenging manner.

My family and I have not made this decision lightly. We balanced as best we could meeting the ULC’s timeline with minimizing the impact upon students and colleagues at Gustavus Adolphus College, District 19A’s residents, the House DFL Caucus, our friends, and ourselves. We weighed many factors, including moving to a new state, changing high schools, and preparing the Gustavus fall 2013 course schedule. Departing a community and college and friends with whom we have shared our lives for almost 20 years led us to reflect carefully on this choice. Living here, raising our children here, working here has been a blessed experience for Martha and me.

I am proud to have worked with the wonderful people of my district for the past six years. As I move on, I am reassured to know that Highway 14 is safer, with more improvements to come. Together, we provided more homeless veteran housing, strengthened the Minnesota Prairie Line, supported our students and schools, and achieved other legislative successes. My work with the district’s parents, teachers, farmers, businesses, local leaders, and others has left a lasting impact upon me. My legislative colleagues have taught me how to govern with compassion, intelligence, and commitment to the public good. I will take the lessons I have learned in Minnesota about sound policy and public service and apply them across our nation and overseas.

To me, being a representative has always been about public service, not the specific individual in the office. District 19A has so many gifted and dedicated people that I leave knowing that constituents will be well represented for years to come. Representing this area for six years has been a wonderful, rewarding experience; it’s an honor that I will always treasure.

My family and I are comforted in knowing that folks throughout the district and state will offer us their support as we take a new direction in our lives. We wish the very best for District 19A and Minnesota.

Sincerely,
Terry Morrow


Rep. Morrow have been elected to House three times since 2006. During 2012 election, he was unopposed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment